Tuesday, December 28, 2004

CNN and Talking Heads

Why does CNN (and every other national news broadcaster) believe it is necessary for us to see the talking head that's commenting on the video playing in the adjacent box? Here is dramatic or informative video playing, but they've shrunk the box down so they can fit Sir British-Sounding-Idiot's picture in another box, and add a scrolling box telling us this is breaking news, plus the stock ticker, plus the time and weather.

I don't have a 42" widescreen digital TV. It's television; put pictures up. I can hear the idiot's voice, and if I couldn't, I can put up the closed captioning. I don't need to read his lips.

And for channel 13 in Baltimore: You have the most annoying, screen-grabbing, useless graphics. I cannot watch your news, for if I hear the phrase "Eyewitness News" more than ten times in three minutes, my head will explode.

No comments: